Under the general supervision of the Director of Facilities Operations and in close coordination with the Lead Maintenance Technician, the Maintenance Technician will work independently and with other members of the facilities team(s) of Kingsley House to perform preventative, predictive and routine maintenance tasks. They will troubleshoot issues, repair failures of facilities equipment, and ensure maximum building efficiency and effectiveness for all. In addition, the Maintenance Technician may be called upon to perform custodial duties to ensure health and safety standards at various critical areas of Kingsley House Inc.
The Maintenance Technician will also have supervisory responsibilities of the Custodial/Maintenance employees and will act as second in command in the absence of the Lead Maintenance Technician.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs skilled and semi-skilled maintenance activities depending upon area of assignment including performing basic trade activities such as electrical, plumbing, painting, and carpentry work.
- Interacts professionally with the staff and clients; maintains effective working relationships and works in cooperation with the Head Start site-specific operations team to effectively meet Head Start objectives.
- Maintains minor maintenance on facilities mechanical and electrical systems while working in concert with contracted vendors for heavy repairs of same.
- Processes maintenance/equipment repair work orders assigned by Director of Facilities Operations. Reports completed work assignments to the Director or the Lead Maintenance Technician.
- Operates services, adjusts and makes minor repairs to power equipment, including cordless drills, circular saws, and vacuum cleaners.
- Orders/purchases supplies and equipment as needed and directed with prior appropriate approvals.
- Prepares records related to the work performed and materials and supplies used.
- Will perform a variety of field maintenance tasks, depending upon experience and level of certification including troubleshooting, preventive maintenance, installation and repairs.
- Conducts periodic building inspections at all Head Start locations as required by OSHA, Head Start performance standards and other governing bodies and report deficiencies/ repairs needs to appropriate staff.
- Assists in conducting Fire and Hurricane evacuation drills sites where needed.
- Inspects fire and security alarms to ensure safety and their proper operating conditions at all times.
- Responsible for the safe storage of all hazardous chemicals products used and familiarity with the content of the Safety Data Sheets for products.
- Drives agency’s vehicles to perform assigned tasks.
- Adheres to and enforces safety regulations.
- Must work emergency overtime as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Director of Facilities Operations and Lead Maintenance Technician to include janitorial services.
- Participates in the overall agency Accreditation Quality Improvement Process
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS & EXPERIENCE:
- Possesses general carpentry, plumbing, basic electrical, and janitorial skills
- Able to fulfill range of maintenance and janitorial tasks as well as take appropriate preventive measures
- Able to use and maintain all lawn and other maintenance/janitorial equipment.
- Possesses a proven ability to communicate and work effectively and respectfully with a wide range of people from diverse cultural, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds
- Presents in a professional manner and to perform independently. Strong problem solving and decision making skills. Organized, detail oriented, and able to handle multiple tasks
- Demonstrates a philosophy and value base consistent with the purpose and goals of Kingsley House
- Possesses the ability to work holistically, as part of a team, with staff, program participants, volunteers and the community
- Maintains confidentiality with respect to participant, personnel and proprietary agency information
- Ability to meet deadlines, well organized, and able to work under pressure of multiple deadlines; demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload
- Acts as a role model within and outside of the agency
- Adheres to agency policies and procedures
Must have a high school diploma, or G.E.D. AA degree preferred and three to five years of skilled or semi-skilled maintenance experience; possess a Louisiana Commercial Driver’s License.
At least a minimum of three years of construction management, commercial and residential HVAC and basic electrical experience. Applicable industry certifications a plus.
- Heavy lifting up to 100 lbs.
- Considerable moving, pushing, pulling, and carrying of janitorial cart and other equipment
- Considerable time on-feet, standing and walking, both inside and outside
- Be able to access small and confined spaces