Kingsley House. Inc. is a social service organization that provides a comprehensive array of programs and services for children and families. At Kingsley House, we envision a city and region where all young children are ready to succeed, their families positioned for success and all citizens are healthy and economically stable. Recognizing that vulnerable families are at risk of being caught in an intractable cycle of poverty, we are committed to ensuring that individuals and families have the supports necessary to be successful at all stages of life. To accomplish our goals, we align forces with dedicated strategic partners. Collectively, we work with families to fuel economic growth and promote social change in our city, state and region.
Kingsley House, Inc. is seeking an experienced professional with a successful track record of achievement and innovation in the management of educational programs; staff supervision and development; process re-engineering; policy development and implementation; automated systems and other technologies; and collaboration with other agencies to achieve a collective impact. This is a unique opportunity to join an exciting and diverse team that is working to make a difference by educating children, strengthening families and building community.
Since 1896, Kingsley House has been offering nationally accredited & state certified education
and community services
in the Greater New Orleans area.
Kingsley House has an exciting opportunity available for a full-time Career Advisor to work in the Career Pathways program at its Historic Campus located in New Orleans. LA. This is a full time position with the Career Pathways/Workforce Development Team that will work Monday - Friday. Evenings and weekends may be required based on a business need.
Career Pathways transforms communities by equipping with education, training, and skills sets to break the cycle of poverty. We believe community transformation is best accomplished when led by residents themselves, and our program offers participants the opportunity to become change agents in their community.
The Career Pathways connects candidates to occupational skills training, provides individualized career coaching, career advising and access to and support through a college education that will provide the skills needed to gain employment and is also responsible for reengaging those customers for job placement after training completion. Provides advice on career paths and development for Program’s customer base as well as facilitating knowledge regarding access to training grants.
The Career Advisor responsibilities are:
- Assesses and reviews employment, educational and training backgrounds with program participants, administer and interpret standardized career assessment tools and personality inventories and from these, help participants develop their education and career goals
- Helps participants identify pathways to career-oriented employment at or above the self-sufficiency wage standard and help them select, and apply for college, certification programs, vocational/trade or entrepreneurial training opportunities
- Provides individual coaching and conduct group workshops in furtherance of individual participant career and education needs. (The ability and willingness to deliver honest, productive feedback and to motivate will be critical to effectiveness)
- Initiates and maintains ongoing contacts with a variety of business and industry representatives and job placement/training agencies to promote programs for participant placement
- Manages the day-to-day relationship with customers, addresses customer concerns promptly with an action plan to ensure satisfaction, and documents all findings with case notes in a clear, concise, and timely manner
- Monitors goals and support achievement of the programs outcome goals, productivity targets, and all other performance metrics; support reporting; progress against program goals & objectives
- Maintains knowledge/professional understanding of a vast array of occupations/career paths (for effective placement/processing and assessment of customers as well as determining services most appropriate for their career goals
- Documents case-note services provided to participants, progress reports and follow up results on Child-plus or participants file (i.e. all documentation should include elaboration of what, who, why, when, where)
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Organizes and facilitates job readiness/search workshops
- Assists client in understanding their abilities, talents, interests, and personality characteristics in order to develop realistic career options
- Formulates individual employment development plan for each program participant
- Provides motivational support to customers during the job search process
- Counsels participants in academic, vocational, employment and personal issues.
- Mediates, resolves and coordinates challenges and barriers for employers and participants
- Provides assessment by way of program assessment tools, to establish immediate objectives and long term goals and to determine career interests and job skills
- Coordinates placement and on the job training opportunities
- Instructs participants in job seeking, application procedures, resume writing, interview preparation, job retention skills, and attitudes
- Provides job search assistance to graduates of the training programs, including referral to job readiness workshop that includes resumes, interview techniques, and mock interviews
- Determines and provides supportive services based on individual needs and program budget
- Ensures every student has a portfolio with pertinent materials for employment. This includes, but is not limited to, personal contact sheet, updated resume, cover letter, references, and certifications/ transcripts
- Conducts regular one-on-one counseling sessions with participants to review goals, address problems, and ensure progress is being made
- Establishes partnerships with employers to identify present and future requirements
- Documents customer success stories for internal and external purposes
- Maintains all administrative records and system that accurately and completely reflect the work of the department, participant and employers affiliated with the program
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE SHOULD HAVE DEMONSTRATED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited university in business, logistics, psychology, business, human resources or related fields and 2 years of experience
- Experience working with career counseling, workforce development, social services program, and/or human resources
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- The ability to relate well with individuals, ability to motivate, and possess experience in presenting workshops and working with individuals having one or more barriers to employment
- Active listening, critical thinking, and the ability to inspire and motivate others
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint); Knowledge of computerized career assessments and software and experience with online LMI (Labor Market Information) resources preferred
- Comprehensive career advising/coaching experience and expertise
- Ability to work both independently, with considerable self-direction, and as a contributing member of a team
- Ability to work with and be sensitive to a diverse cultural, ethnic and racial population
- Willingness to comply with the established company performance standards which may include: productivity/personal responsibility, client/customer service-orientation, embracing a team player orientation, and maintaining a professional demeanor
- Must have reliable, independent transportation
- Time management skills and personal organization skills
- Enjoys serving customers and your default answer is YES